Monday, August 16, 2010

Bargaining Chips

My four year old daughter did not go to preschool today. I went to her room at 6:00 to wake her up so she could catch the bus at 6:40. She would not get dressed or even budge from her bed. Well, not until she heard the bus blow its horn as it went by! I told her this was the first and the last day she was going to do that. Later on I had a light bulb moment. I decided to tell her, since she loves the library so much, that we will go to the library once a week, IF she goes to school EVERY day. (We don't go to the library all that much lately because it is hard with a 2 year old and a baby, and also because we have loads of books at home already.) She said OK, just like that. I wish I had thought of that at six this morning. But I don't think that clearly so early. Getting up this early is new to both of us... I haven't done that in years myself.

The other day I had to look at fabric at the store. In the meantime, my four year old and two year old wanted to play hide and seek in the aisles near me. I am uncomfortable with that, as I am sure most mothers are. So instead, I instigated a search and find game instead, asking them to find snowflakes, butterflies, horses, and so on, on the fabrics next to us. To my utter amazement, it worked!

No comments:

Post a Comment